12th February 2013
It’s officially 10 years today since Jet2.com began flying from Leeds Bradford Airport, bringing cost effective European air travel to Yorkshire.
Since its launch, Jet2.com has helped more than 30 million passengers reach their favourite destinations, with 2012 proving to be the most successful year to date as over 4.25 million customers chose to travel with the airline. Jet2.com now offers more than 50 sun, ski and city destinations from 8 regional UK airports.
To mark this important milestone, Jet2.com has reunited original cabin crew members and one of the first ever passengers, to recreate the inaugural consumer flight to the scenic Netherlands capital, Amsterdam.
Steve Heapy, Jet2.com Chief Executive said: “We’d like to thank our loyal customers for their on-going support in making the last 10 years so successful. Jet2.com enjoyed a fantastic welcome in the region and the significant growth we’ve achieved in the past decade, is largely thanks to our loyal customers continuing to make us their airline of choice.
“We remain committed to delivering great value prices with a friendly service, but also to providing access to the places our customers tell us they want to go. Last year alone we added 30 exciting new routes and with many more additions on the horizon, we’re confident we’ll continue to meet the needs of the region’s holidaymakers.”
Ian Peacock, from York, bought a return ticket to Amsterdam for £60 on the first ever Jet2.com flight. He today joins in celebrations as he boards the anniversary Amsterdam flight, together with original cabin crew, Jamie Leggett and Justin Grant.
Mr Peacock said: “I’ve flown regularly with Jet2.com since the first flight, though it's hard to believe 10 years can go by so quickly. You can still get great airfares which along with the increasing number of places to choose from, are the main reasons why I still choose to fly with Jet2.com.”
- 600,000 passengers travelled in the first year of operation (2003)
- Jet2.com’s fleet consists of 42 aircraft, originally 2 in 2003
- From nine in the first year, Jet2.com now offers flights to more than 50 sun city and ski destinations
- Sister company Jet2holidays launched in 2007 – and quickly became the region’s package holiday expert
- Spain remains popular with Yorkshire travellers but Jet2.com’s 2013 What’s Hot report revealed Croatia as the place to see this year
- Jet2.com transported a pride of Romanian lions to their new home at Yorkshire Wildlife Park
- Famous flyers include cast and crew from the Skyfall Bond movie, as well as Yorkshire soap, Emmerdale
- Jet2.com went transatlantic in 2008 with flights to New York taking off for the first time
- Jet2.com helped over 200 hopefuls attempt to find love on the first ever speed dating flights to Paris in 2012
- The Jet2.com Party Plane will see one lucky winner take off with 99 mates to the destination of their choice, as part of the 10th anniversary celebrations. People can enter at www.jet2.com/partyplane
Posted in Announcements
February 12, 2013 at 16:40