Jet2.com the friendly low fares airline, made its landmark first flight from East Midlands Airport today (Wednesday 19 May 2010). The 757s historic departure to Paphos, signalled yet further investment into the region by the airline, who went on to announce five new direct routes out of the airport, which will be serviced by a second aircraft for the base.
The inaugural flight, carrying holiday makers to Cyprus departed at 09.30 this morning and lead the way for the announcement of Jet2.coms five new sunshine destinations for summer 2011 - Alicante, Palma, and Faro with Bodrum and Rhodes being the first scheduled services for the region, bringing the total destinations from the base, offered by Jet2.com to fourteen.
All routes are available to book from today for departures from May 2011, with incredible starting fares from £39.99 one way including taxes or from £269 for great value package tours through sister company, Jet2holidays.com. For those wanting to take to the slopes this winter, the airline also launched its dedicated routes to Chambery and Geneva this March, with starting prices from just £29.99.
In addition to the five new routes, weekly departures will be increased from 9 to 22 by summer 2011, with a second aircraft in service from May 2011 bringing the number of seats to 300,000 per annum.
In further good news for the region, the airlines sustained and significant investment at the base, is set to give further support to the East Midlands business infrastructure helping to generate an extra 150 jobs at Jet2.com and its supporting industries.
Ian Doubtfire, Managing Director at Jet2.com said, As of today, we are now, quite literally taking off in the Midlands bringing low fare flights to a whole host of popular destinations - as well as providing substantial employment opportunities within the travel and leisure industry. I would personally like to thank everyone from the region for their continued support and we look forward to welcoming more and more customers on-board our fleet and working with our partners at East Midlands Airport to establish Jet2.com as the Midlands favourite airline.
Meanwhile Steve Heapy, Managing Director at Jet2Holidays.com added: I am thrilled that we are able to offer our excellent value package deals to the people of the East Midlands region. It is a core focus area for the Holidays team, as we expand our choice of destinations across Europe and I would encourage customers to take advantage of our great value low prices as soon as possible and plan their 2011 escape to the sun nice and early!
Five new routes and starting fares from East Midlands Airport for summer 2011 are:
- SPAIN, ALICANTE, three departures per week, from £39.99 flight-only one way including taxes, or from £289 package holiday with Jet2holidays departing from 12 May 2011
- TURKEY, BODRUM, weekly, from £69.99 one way flight-only including taxes, or from £329 package holiday with Jet2holidays departing from £199 May 2011
- MAJORCA, PALMA, four departures per week from £39.99 one way including taxes, or from £269 package holiday with Jet2holidays departing from 8 May 2011
- PORTUGAL, FARO, three departures per week from £39.99 flight-only one way including taxes, departing from 12 May 2011, alternatively for a package holiday to the Algarve from £269 with Jet2holidays
- GREECE, RHODES, weekly departures from £69.99 one way flight-only including taxes, or from £299 package holiday with Jet2holidays departing from 18 May 2011
Stephen Turner, Commercial Director, East Midlands Airport said, Its an exciting and historic day for both the airport and the region as we see the first passengers depart, whilst celebrating the airlines decision to base a further aircraft at the airport.
A move which undoubtedly reaffirms Jet2.coms initial commitment to the airport, the welcomed announcement is indeed positive news, bringing with it increased job opportunities for the region and a greater choice of destinations and flexibility for our passengers.