Frequently Asked Questions

Search our FAQs

Security and identification

How long does my passport have to be valid for to travel?

Please always check Foreign Office advice in plenty of time before your departure to ensure your passport is valid for travel.

For the destinations we operate to within the European Union, please check your passport validity requirements by clicking here and following the instructions.

For non EU destinations, for example Turkey, New York and Montenegro, please click here and navigate to your destination to find the relevant advice.

What liquids can I carry with me in my hand luggage when travelling from an EU airport?

Limited amounts of liquid will be allowed through the security search point provided that:

  • It is in a container with a capacity no greater than 100ml.
  • It is carried within one transparent, re-sealable plastic bag with a capacity not exceeding 1 litre; the dimensions for which must not exceed 20cm x 20cm (8” x 8”).
  • The contents of the plastic bag must fit comfortably and the bag must be completely closed.
  • The plastic bag must be carried separately from hand baggage.
  • The person is responsible for providing their own plastic bag. Plastic bags that do not meet the correct criteria will not be allowed.

Liquids Include:

  • Cosmetics, gels, pastes, lotions, liquid/solid mixtures and the contents of pressurised containers, e.g. toothpaste, hair gel, drinks, soups, syrups, perfume, deodorant, shaving foam, aerosols etc.
  • Essential medicines in liquid form sufficient for the trip as long as they are verified authentic.
  • Baby milk/food sufficient and essential for the trip (the contents of each bottle or jar must be tasted by the accompanying person).
  • Duty free items over 100ml in a sealed security bag - The item and the receipt must remain sealed inside the security bag provided at the time of purchase.
  • Medicines & special dietary products, such as baby food vital for the trip. You may be asked for a medical letter or proof of authenticity.

Please be aware bottles and packaging may need to be opened during screening by airport security.

Further information can be found at

Changes to the visa requirements for Turkey

A visa is required for British Citizens to enter Turkey.

The Turkish government advise that your passport should be valid for at least 6 months from the date you enter Turkey and that there is a full blank page for the entry and exit stamps. You can find more detail about the requirements for entry into Turkey on the website of the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

It is also a requirement that to be allowed entry into Turkey each person has valid medical insurance to cover the duration of their stay. We would recommend you ensure that you have sufficient travel insurance to meet this requirement.

You can get an e-Visa online before you travel through the official e-Visa website An e-visa costs $20 and you can pay using a credit or debit card. You can apply up to 3 months in advance of your travel date. Turkish visit visas issued on arrival are valid for multiple stays up to a maximum of 90 days in a 180 day period.

Some unauthorised websites may charge for information about e-Visas, and for submitting applications. These websites are not endorsed by or associated with the Turkish government.Be wary of such sites and businesses, particularly those that seek additional fees for other services.

We would recommend that you print and carry a paper copy of your e-Visa, or make sure you have an electronic copy on a smart phone or other device to show to the immigration officer if requested.

Until further notice British citizens can get a multiple entry visitor visa, valid for 90 days, on arrival at any port of entry on payment of £20 in cash (Scottish and Northern Irish currency is not accepted). However, the visa on arrival service is likely to be phased out at some point in the near future. To avoid possible problems or delays at the Turkish border, or when boarding your flight in the UK, make sure that you get an e-Visa before you travel.

Please note that any customer who is not a British Citizen would need to check visa requirements with the Turkish Embassy before travel.

What ID do I need on domestic flights, flights to the Channel Islands & flights between the UK & Eire

For domestic flights, flights to the Channel Islands and flights to Eire anyone aged 16 or over must present valid photographic identification. recommends you travel with a valid passport on these flights but will accept one of the following as an alternative, providing it includes a photograph and is valid on the date of travel:

  • EU or Swiss national ID card
  • CitizenCard
  • Driving licence
  • Student ID card (international, National Union of Students or University/College ID)
  • Armed forces ID card
  • Police warrant card/badge
  • Airport employees security ID pass
  • Government issued ID card
  • Official Company ID card
  • Electoral ID card (EIC issued to eligible N Ireland citizens)
  • UK Council issued bus pass (Senior Citizens only)
  • Fire Arms certificate

We will also permit an expired UK passport for use on domestic flights for up to two years after expiry. A child travelling with an adult on a UK domestic flight does not require additional ID. Unaccompanied young persons aged 14-16 must carry photographic ID on UK domestic flights.

I have heard that it is now a requirement for airlines to obtain personal information, including passport number, in advance of travel. When and how will you ask me for this information? is legally required to provide advance passenger information for all passengers departing from and arriving into the UK. In order to comply with this you need to provide with accurate passport data. You may provide this data any time between the time of your booking and 5 hours before departure. You can provide this data under the Manage My Booking section of the website, through our call centre or at check-in.

What happens if my passport is lost or stolen?

Should your passport be lost or stolen please see the below:

Travelling from the UK:

UK Nationals

If you are currently in the UK and have misplaced your passport, you will need to order a new one before you are able to fly. It is recommended speaking to our Pre Travel Services team if you need to reschedule your flight for a later date on 0800 408 55 97.

Non UK Nationals

For non-UK nationals, you will need to speak to your local embassy should you need to obtain an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) in order to return to your country of residence.

Travelling to the UK:

If you are currently overseas and have misplaced your passport, you will require an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) in order to return to the UK. Please carry out the following instructions if you have lost or had your passport stolen:

1. Report the loss of your passport - You must report the loss of your passport to your nearest police station and obtain a police report. You will need to take the police report with you to the Embassy or British Consulate-General.

2. Visit your local Embassy or British Consulate-General - Once you have carried out the above, you will be able to obtain an Emergency Travel Document, which will allow you to fly back to the UK. To locate your nearest Embassy and for more information, please visit the government website. For non UK Nationals you will need to visit your local embassy website.

3. Rearrange your travel plans - We would ask that you contact us as soon as possible on 0113 387 9501 if you need to change your return flight date. Please note there will be a charge to do this. Please contact your insurance company as they may be able to assist with booking alternative flights for you.

Heightened security measures at airports

Due to heightened security measures at UK airports, we advise all customers to check-in a minimum of 2 hours before departure and to check with your departure airport for updated information on security measures. Please also be advised that following the introduction of the use of body scanners at a number of airports, you may be selected for scanning. Any person refusing to be scanned will be denied travel without any further liability to or the respective airport. Further information can be found at

Are there any special circumstances for travelling to the Czech Republic or Budapest?

The Czech Republic requires that your passport is valid for the period of your visit to be permitted to enter the Czech Republic. EU visitors to Budapest do not require a visa but their passport must be valid for the period of their visit.

What are the visa and passport requirements if travelling to the USA?

Anyone travelling to the USA must hold ESTA authorisation (submitted via Please visit this website for up to date requirements. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have all the necessary valid and undamaged documentation including visas to meet the immigration authorities' requirements of your destination country. On 18 December 2015, the US Congress passed a Bill updating the requirements for the Visa Waiver Programme (VWP); under the new rules, with effect from 1 April 2016 all travellers wishing to enter the US under the VWP will need to hold a passport with an integrated chip. As is strictly a point to point airline this means that, even if the destination country of your flight permits you to transit without a visa, you will have to pass through Immigration of that country and will therefore need the appropriate visa. Please be aware that we will not be liable for any consequences of your failure to arrive without the correct documentation and any fines, penalties or other expenditures incurred shall be paid by or charged to you. The Foreign and Commonwealth website is a useful source for travel information. Visit

Driving abroad

If you have hired a car, or are planning to drive abroad, please make sure that you have checked the most up to date guidance on the documentation or licence type that you need before you go. Further guidance on licence requirements is available here: