Home Page / FAQs

Search our FAQs

Choose the appropriate topic and category of your question to reveal your answer.

1. Choose a topic

2. Choose a category

3. Answer

Fit to fly

Before you fly with us, you need to be satisfied that you're medically fit to travel by air and/or that all precautions recommended by your doctor are taken before, during and after your flight. If you have any doubts, please contact our Assisted Travel team before making any bookings to talk about your requirements. Please note that we do reserve the right to refuse travel if we think that you're not fit to fly.

Travel insurance and European Health Insurance Cards/Global Health Insurance Cards
We strongly recommend that you take out sufficient travel insurance for your journey that covers situations such as unscheduled flight diversions or changes to your travel plans due to illness. We also recommend that your travel insurance is valid from the point of booking, as changes to travel plans due to illness may occur before you travel.

If you already have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), it entitles you to state healthcare in countries which belong to the European Union. A new UK equivalent, Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), is now being issued, instead of an EHIC. You can find more information and apply for an GHIC here. You don’t need to apply for a GHIC if you already have an EHIC, as it’s valid in the EU until it expires.

Just so you know, EHICs and GHICs aren’t valid in Iceland or Switzerland.

Please note, an EHIC or GHIC isn’t a replacement for travel insurance. It also doesn’t cover private medical healthcare (which may be the only option available to you in certain countries), repatriation costs, lost baggage and documents or holiday cancellations. More information can be found here.

You can add our 5* Defaqto-rated travel insurance to your existing Jet2.com booking or you can arrange your own insurance elsewhere.

We offer travel insurance at jet2insurance.com

The facts
  • We strongly recommend you take out travel insurance.
  • An EHIC or GHIC provides state healthcare in European Union countries, excluding Iceland and Switzerland.
  • Your EHIC will be valid until its expiry, but there are limitations to this so make sure you have travel insurance that includes private healthcare and repatriation costs, as well as any pre-existing conditions.


Fit to fly certificates

A fit to fly certificate may be needed for certain medical conditions. You can find out more below, or by calling us on 0800 408 5591.

If you need a fit to fly certificate, it must be provided by a doctor on surgery/hospital headed paper and be dated within 30 days of departure.

If you’re travelling while pregnant, you’ll need a fit to fly certificate. One of the following documents will be required:

  • A Fit to Fly certificate that’s provided by a doctor or midwife on surgery/hospital headed paper, signed and dated within seven days of your departure and 16 days of your return.
  • A pregnancy Fit to Fly certificate provided by us and completed by your medical professional. Please make sure this is signed and stamped for verification purposes, as this certificate will not be valid if incomplete. You can download the certificate here. 

Medical Information Forms (MEDIF)

For more complex medical cases, you may need a MEDIF and pre-approval to travel by air. Please call our Assisted Travel team to talk about your requirements.

If you need a MEDIF, you can download the required form. Please make sure that your doctor has completed the form in full and included all the information below:

  • Doctor’s signature
  • Dated within 30 days of travel
  • Stamp from the doctor, doctor’s surgery, hospital, or clinic. If they don't have a stamp, the doctor must sign the MEDIF and also attach an additional document, such as a business card or sheet of headed notepaper, with their signature
  • Confirmation of fitness to fly. Please make sure that your doctor includes a clear prognosis for the flight under section 06 of the MEDIF, as without this we aren't able to grant medical clearance

Please return the completed form to assistedtraveladmin@jet2holidays.com and then someone from our Assisted Travel team will get in touch with you after they receive the form.

Any costs for a medical professional to complete a Medical Information Form or provide a Fitness to Fly certificate, lie solely with you and can't be reimbursed by us.


Travelling unaccompanied

You have to travel with a Companion (someone at least 16 years old, and physically able to help you in an emergency) for your own safety and that of fellow customers if you’re unable to do any of the following things:

  • Understand the safety briefing
  • Fasten and unfasten your seat belt
  • Take out and put on your life jacket
  • Leave your seat and get to an emergency exit
  • Put on an oxygen mask
  • Use the toilet on your own

Your travel companion will need to buy a full ticket for the flight(s), but please contact our Assisted Travel team in advance on 0800 408 5591 so that we can discuss your requirements and do our best to seat you together.